June 1st & 2nd --- Albert River Circuit ---

Hiking Adventures in the Lamington National Park...


Waking up bathed in green!


So, I have these ideas sometimes.  More frequently then not these 'great' ideas turn into plans and then here I stand about to hike 22km+ in the Lamington National Park on the first weekend of winter, with a 9 year old.  I had been checking the forecast and there was no rain scheduled but we were expecting it to be cold.  Was it too far for Charlie? for me?  I honestly couldn't tell you.  I seem to develop this 'Why not' attitude during the planning and just figure it out along the way.  

We made it.  We didn't freeze or get injured and we had a great time along the way.  It was tough but not hard enough that I was starting to get worried that we'd have to have a second night out there.  There was no iPad or electronics, there was beauty at every corner and peace and tranquility.  What a blissful way to spend a weekend!

What I woke up for :)

The Why...


Camping... with 'usual' car camping the car gets packed up with all of life's luxuries... a 'home away from home'.  With through-hiking or trail camping aka tramping you pack what you can carry and you learn pretty quick what you can sacrifice!  Charlie and I have done a couple of trips to a remote campground walking distance from Angourie, NSW.  Now we've started its just a constant lookout for other remote campgrounds we can hike to where the views/landscapes are good, people are few and the electronics are left at home.

Chasing waterfalls...

Albert River Circuit...


O'reilly's holds many childhood memories.  My dad loved bushwalking and we would often holiday up there.  He was an amazing whistler and could replicate any bird call that he came across on the trails.  Even though I'm not a massive fan of the goat track drive up the mountain, for our first longer distance through-hike I choose the Albert River Circuit, mainly, so I could get some cool sunrise shots from Echo Point Lookout!  It's 21.8km (supposedly) and should take 7 hours.  Somehow we managed to walk closer to 25km and it took us 9 hours.  10km in 3.5hrs Day 1.  15.5km in 5.5hrs Day 2.  It was a beautiful walk, amazing beech trees, moss, ferns, waterfalls and views.  The perfect rainforest getaway!

I just love these trees!!

Tips for hiking with kids...


*  food - have snacks for the trail and hot chocolate (don't forget the marshmallows like I did this time and I also bought an un-trialled hot chocolate sachet which I won't be buying again!).  Charlie's fave this time was powerade, a handful of macadamias/cashews topped off with a musk stick. They're burning heaps of energy so let loose!

*  dinner - have something yummy and warm.  I have previously taken mac'n'cheese but it does require some stirring over the stove and then washing up.  Alternatively, I love the dehydrated meals - this time we had sweet and sour lamb with a backup of spaghetti bolognese should we get into trouble.

*  gear - a good pair of hiking shoes, long pants, framed pack and walking poles

*  there will be break-downs - just factor them in and rest for a bit longer

*  talking/singing - usually I'm a 'in the rainforest so be quiet so you can here the nature' kind of gal... well I listened to Charlie recap the backstory of Overwatch (a computer game) for nearly an hour, plus then listened to him sing mashups of all the songs he knows... he didn't complain once during this time and kept a good pace.

*  be prepared - I may jump into these things feet first BUT i always do some preparation.  I have creams for bites, a first aid kit with panadol (kids and adult), a phone and battery pack, a torch for both of us, extra gear for warmth.  We didn't come across any snakes... only dangerous thing was cliffs and spiky plants and lots of spider holes!

* let them lead - we took turns to lead but Charlie did get a kick out of setting the pace and leading the way.  It also allows me to keep track that he hasn't fallen off the cliff edge or that I'm not walking too fast for him.  

Doesn't it just draw you in?


Fun...


At the end of the day if fun isn't had then what's the point!  We saw some beautiful trees and waterfalls, set up camp in a tiny little clearing in the middle of a rainforest, toileted in holes (yeap, pack a shovel) and basically had an awesome weekend together making memories in an ancient place on our doorstep.

We ate dinner from Echo Point Lookout watching the sky dance with colour





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts